Tuesday, October 25, 2011

breakin it down articulately [personal]

i'm extremely new to this whole 'photography/photographer/small business owner' thing.  i will be the first to tell you that i have a bajillion and one things to learn... i mean, i stalk photography blogs like it's nobody's business (the go to's = justin & mary, katelyn james, sharon elizabeth, jasmine star, abby grace, warthan farms), read anything i can get my hands on (books, blogs, how-to's, beginner's guides, instruction manuals, magazine articles) and am attending seminars to try and improve in areas i'm weakest (and let me tell you, there are A LOT of those).  i watch webinars, sign up for newsletters, use pintrest to find photography articles and facebook stalk for posing inspiration as if my life depends on it.

but i've realized that all of those things are similar in one specific way: they don't require me to step outside of my comfort zone.  i can do them all without having to talk to anyone about my photography or try and promote myself in any way.  i can do every single one of those things and rest easy at night because, until now, i've convinced myself that i have been doing everything possible to improve my business by focusing on improving my photography.

truth be told: i am terrible at promoting myself.  sure, anyone can post a link to a blogpost or facebook album online of recent pictures they took, but it takes gumption to look someone in the eyes and tell them you want to be a wedding and portrait photographer. i don't know what it is about telling people that i want to capture personal histories that terrifies me so much.  and i can't for the life of me figure out why i can't just ask folks if i could take pictures for them.

i don't even stand up for myself when someone makes comments about the type of camera i have or how anyone can be a photographer these days... yes, i have a nice camera (neither canon nor nikon), but no it is not what makes the pictures i take... i make the pictures - by shooting in full manual, seeing light, telling a story. am i the best at it? no, but i'm working on it.

uuugghhh! i just get so frustrated with myself.  and where i am with my business. and i know i'm BRAND new at this, but that's just how i am.

mama always said either hush up or do something about it - so i emailed a few local photographers today about meeting and discussing their business/life philosophy... fingers crossed that i get replies :)

caits

1 comment:

  1. Caitlin, I cannot even tell you how amazing it is to see myself on your list. Your email is the sweetest, most heartfelt I have ever received and YES - we will meet up for hot chocolate... hopefully more than once.

    I am All For photographers supporting one another. Besides, who else is going to understand me when I say, "I'm going to shoot a bride today!". :)

    ReplyDelete