Wednesday, April 4, 2012

caitlin elizabeth photography | just for fits and giggles

a year and a half ago if someone asked me what i liked to photograph, my answer would've been: 
'anything but people'

portrait photography just... wasn't my thing.  i'm awkward. and i have an odd sense of humor (my besties can attest to this... puns? references to elizabethean literature? laffy taffy jokes? i got it allllll).  family/friends are subjected to the doofy/snort when i laugh/random side of me... but folks who don't know me or only interact with me occasionally think i'm quiet and shy (i actually have this sinking feeling that a vast majority of the individuals i meet deem me boring and inarticulate... fo' realz) 

and to me, all that translated into: i am terrified to work with people

so i took pictures of stuff.

lots of stuff.

colorful stuff.

natural stuff.

well-lit stuff.

old stuff.

textured stuff.

regardless of what it was really, if it looked interesting or different, i would take a picture.

to the point where i had to allot an extra 45 minutes to an hour every time i went anywhere, because chances were i would find something that caught my eye and i would NEED to pull over and take a picture. or 400.

but then i started taking pictures of people.
and i realized i loved showing people how beautiful they are when they're just being them.
it's one of the most fulfilling endeavors i've ever encountered.
but along the way i stopped taking pictures of the stuff...

justin & mary just did a blogpost about creating art for you - and they had an instagram challenge that i FULLY intended on participating in.  but i forgot how useless my phone is when i'm on the eastern shore of virginia ;)  but last weekend, i did stop and take a picture for me again - of the sunlight streaming through the trees and drops of precipitation dangling precariously from their limbs on that beautiful saturday morn <3


1 comment:

  1. I love it when you take pictures of stuff...like yellow suitcases and wine bottles <3

    ReplyDelete