Thursday, July 5, 2012

DIY wall art | PINDAY | silverware art | caitlin elizabeth photography

it's been FOREVER since my last PINday post. i am truly ashamed, but yesterday was
a MAJOR catch-up day, so i photographed my latest crafting adventure and am going to 
share it with you today :)

my recent move to the eastern shore of virginia functioned as a 'let's get rid of all 
of the stuff we don't want' for the rest of my family.
furniture, art, fabric... you name it, they tried to give it to me.


grandmama even got in on the action.
and she graciously bestowed upon me a very dated, heinous, impractical, eclectic
set of silverware.


and reader, please don't think i am ungrateful for this gift. 
i truly LOVE that grandmama wanted to share her silverware with me,
but what am i going to do with a gold serving fork and 15 gold
spoons/knives/forks?

the answer: make wall art.

i saw this thing on pinterest and decided that was the PERFECT solution
to my dilemma.   i didn't want to get rid of grandmama's gift,
but i also didn't want to just have it shoved in a drawer somewhere taking up
space and never being used.

so first, i went to my local thrift store to look for gold frames.
i'm a sucker for unique textures and varying colors/hues on a frame.
everything i found cost me well under $1 (most were only .50 cents)
some of them were more dated than others...



i then used scrapbook paper that i already had at home and cut different 
pieces for each frame, fixing them so that the paper showed in the frame with nothing 
over top of it. 

 


then i SUPER GLUED the silverware however i wanted in the frames.
it took the glue a few seconds to dry, but it does a GREAT job of holding everything up!!


will helped me hang everything up on the far end of the dining room wall
and voila! wall art :)






i'm going to start crafting more regularly - so checkout the PINday board and 
let me know what you'd like me to craft!!

hope you had a safe and happy 4th of july yesterday :)

3 comments: